Sunday, March 11, 2012

Making Cookies - Including tips and information you may find helpful

My future daughter in law, Sarah, makes these wonderful Quadruple Chocolate Chip Cookies. I'd experienced her delightful cookies even before I met her - this may be one reason I knew I was going to like her. Drew got her recipe for me, and I filed it away.

Now, I really enjoy baking cookies and cakes. I can't tell you why, I just do. I needed to bring something to church tonight, and I decided these cookies would be just the thing. I was feeling pretty good about this decision when I found the recipe quickly and easily. I followed that up by doing two very important things: I made sure I had all the ingredients and read the recipe all the way through. At that point, I was feeling like someone should pat me on the back for doing everything so well.

So, here are my helpful hints to make cookies:

  •  Don't congratulate yourself too soon.
  •  You probably don't need as many chocolate chips as a recipe calls for - there are usually a bunch left over when you're out of cookie dough anyway.
  • I am pretty sure you will burn the calories of AT LEAST one cookie when you stir the flour mixture in with the sugar/vanilla/eggs/butter mixture. It is a work out. 
  • You will burn the calories of AT LEAST two cookies stirring in the chocolate chips. I didn't measure the calories burned, BUT if the burning sensation in my arms was anything to go by - at least two. Your mileage may vary.
  • As a side note, I am also fairly certain that Arnold Schwarzenegger got his incredible arms from stirring up  batches of these cookies without ever eating any of them. You can ask him the next time you see him, but again, I feel certain this is how he did it. I'm not saying he is a paragon of virtue or anything, but really? Can you imagine the discipline of stirring up batches of cookies and not eating any of them? No? Oh. Well, then, that does sort of shoot a hole in my theory, doesn't it?
  • Putting the cookies in the fridge for 10 minutes does help to get nice, evenly sized cookies.
  • I am not in any way certain that this is a fact, but it SHOULD be: the first cookie of each batch has no calories. I mean, really, how else could it be fair to the cook? She needs to make sure they are uniformly good, doesn't she?
  • Silpat or parchment paper is THE way to go. No sticking + easy clean up = awesome! (Haha! I even threw in an equation)
That's about it. At one point during all the stirring, though, I thought of the two EASIEST possible ways to make cookies for church. Because I really like you, I'm going to share them with you:
1. Ask Sarah to make them for you
OR
2. Buy cookies at the store.


I hope you've found this helpful! If you have any tips YOU'D like to share, please leave a comment.

No comments: