Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Snapshot

About a decade ago, I made a new friend through work. Tracey was the first person who ever mentioned the words "community group" to me. She was wondering about what she was going to fix to take to community group. I got the notion that it was some sort of supper club where everyone brought part of the meal and the location rotated to different houses each month.

Years later, Gene and I joined the church Tracey had been attending. Once we'd fallen head over heels in love with this church, we were encouraged to join a community group. That's when I learned that there was a LOT more to a community group than a supper club (and where I learned that making desserts may be one of my spiritual gifts -just kidding! I think I just love making them as much as eating them). Some churches call them small groups, but whatever you call them, they can be such a great way to connect.

When Gene decided that we were going to adopt, he had CONDITIONS. One of those conditions was that we were going to attend church together, something we'd never made a practice. We're pretty private people, and left to our own devices, we'd have loved attending church on Sundays without ever really getting to know anyone. Our church, however, wasn't the sort to let that happen. They didn't FORCE us to join a group, it was just felt right when we committed to the church.

So, after about 4 years, we have settled into our current community group. This is the group that goes camping! And this is the group that make me excited to go sleep in a tent in 100+degree temps. These are the people I got up early (ok, it was early for ME) to paint a bathroom as our City Fest project yesterday.  These are people who cried with us when Gene's mom died, who pray with us, who break bread with us, and who share their lives with us. I tend to believe we're living a bit like the early Church described in Acts lived. We love each others' children, we help each other bear our burdens, and we know we can tell each other anything in absolute confidence. Most importantly, our community group has begun to feel like family and helps me see that we're all part of God's family.


This is my first Sunday Snapshot linked up to Ni Hao, Ya'll  
Ni Hao Y'all


1 comment:

Blessed Mom of Four, Now Five said...

Followed your link from One Blessed Bunch...I love the story of your community group. Where we would be without the family...the body of Christ?