Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A moment to remember

Has your child ever made you glow with pride just by saying something so perceptive? A moment where you just wanted to stand up and yell, "That's MY daughter/son!!!" for the whole world to know because clearly you are doing such an awesome job of raising her/him? Well? Have you? If the answer is yes, good for you. That's not what this post is about.

We went to the little dairy bar where our journey to Lydia more or less began for french fries & ice cream (because I'm doing such an awesome job of raising her to eat good, healthy food). After we finished the main course, Lydia and I were waiting in line to order our ice cream. The gentleman in front of us had tattoos, a sunburn, a funky mustache, and a well rounded abdomen.

Lydia, who is incapable of a "quiet" or "inside" voice (irrelevant in any case since we were outdoors, albeit under the covered area of the dairy bar) said, "MOMMY? WHAT'S INSIDE THAT MAN'S BELLY?"

I quietly answered, "Probably food."

She? Was NOT satisfied with my answer. So she asked HIM.

"DO YOU HAVE A BABY IN YOUR BELLY?"

At that point, I should have been glowing. You know, with embarrassment or something similar, but I wasn't. I just told myself that there is no way to control a 3 year old's mouth. Oh, and that I might want to explain WOMEN can have babies in their bellies, but it's not likely that a man would. And maybe I could come up with some sort of way to teach her that it's probably NEVER a good idea to ask if someone is pregnant even if that someone is a woman.

Do you want to know what that sweet gentleman told Lydia was in his belly? "Probably beer. A LOT of it." Klassy with a capital K, for sure ; ) Something every three year old needs to know...

2 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh. my. Corona.

Chris said...

Love it!
What a crack up!

My five year old always says what is on her mind....ALWAYS!!! And she says it in an alarming loud voice way!

And like your daughter, if she is not satisfied with my answer she will continue to pursue asking questions (in her loud voice)until she gets the answer she wants...or until I pull her away and put my hand over her mouth! lol!