Sunday, April 18, 2010

I was WRONG (again)

I have had a deep and abiding hatred for camping for at least 2 decades now. My dad used to take us camping, and we simply threw a sleeping bag down on the ground and slept beneath the stars. He even cooked over an open fire. No showers, no toilets, no tent, no electricity, no running water, no park rangers - no park, for that matter. And I used to think that was fun.

When we moved to Arkansas, I had my first encounter with poison ivy, and camping ceased to be fun. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I got poison ivy. Knowing that poison ivy was pretty much a given, I started finding fault with everything about camping. You get dirty, you can't shower every day, you can't blow your hair dry, there's no internet access (isn't that like saying there's no oxygen to breathe?), no fun. Instead you get: bugs, ticks, dirt, sweaty or rained on or frozen, hiking, smoke, and poison ivy.

Needless to say, I was not a fan of camping. So, when we were trying out our new community group and they mentioned camping trips and wanted to schedule them at our first meeting, I was ready to ditch said community group. Camping=Deal Breaker for Suzy. God loves me, though, and he rained out the first trip in the fall. Thank YOU, God. Thank you!!!!Thank you!!!

You know that saying that God loves you right where you are, but He loves you too much to leave you there? You guessed it: He provided perfect weather for the scheduled camping trip this weekend. I could not see a way out of it, either, unless I had a body organ removed. I am running short on those nonessential organs though, so I didn't even ASK God to intervene there. I was pretty snotty about it though. I really, Really, REALLY did NOT want to go camping. In a tent. Outside where there is a LOT of dirt & bugs & no climate control. Puh Leeeeeeze don't make me GO!!!!!

No way out of it. I went, and I had a super duper time. I don't mean that it was tolerable. It was really FUN. The company of my community group was a big part of it. Lydia's joy in getting to play with other kids all weekend was part of it. Watching my husband work his logistics magic was part of it (but for the record we need MORE than 2 towels, we need the heater AND a fan). Seeing how lovely God made the earth was another part of it. The whole of it, though, was more than just the sum of its parts.

I'll blog about it more & have pictures later, and I'll be SURE to let you know if I got into any poison ivy.


1 comment:

a Tonggu Momma said...

I still hate camping. And I hope to never be proven wrong. Because that means I would have to camp in order to BE proven wrong.

I am, however, thrilled that you had such a lovely time!!!!