Saturday, February 6, 2010

A very bad mom

In which I confess my short comings:
We took Lydia to our local Families with Children from China's Chinese New Year event tonight, and I failed to bring our camera. That, however, is just the tip of the iceberg.

You see, I WANT my daughter to have some appreciation of what it means to be Chinese. I TRY to attend as many of the FCC events as I can. I even read books like My First Chinese New Year. I read it Thursday, as a matter of fact.

Tonight, Gene got Lydia dressed in her red silk outfit, and we were off to celebrate our daughter's birth culture with other families like ours. We took Keith & Lisa with us since they will be Lydia's godparents.

As we walked into the building, Lydia looked at all the other little boys and girls from China and asked me, "Where's Santa?" Yes, she did. Probably because the last time we were with this group of children was at the Christmas party. So, I explained that Santa was part of Christmas, but we were there to celebrate Chinese New Year. She still wanted to know where Santa was, and I explained that he was up at the North Pole with the elves busily making toys for good little girls and boys for NEXT Christmas which was 11 months away.

Lydia ate Chinese food, participated in the Ribbon Dance and the Dragon Dance (she really did her own thing, for the most part), and had a great time doing the craft activities. I thought we'd had a really great evening when I asked, "Ok, are you ready to go now?"

"No. I want to wait for Santa Claus." So, I'll see you guys in about 11 months...

2 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

BwwwaaaHaHaHaHa! Sometimes there is no convincing them. Just tell her the Monkey King is for CNY and Santa is for Christmas.

Andrea said...

She is so funny!! I can totally relate to this. And who wouldn't want to see Santa every couple months?!