Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A big girl and the unexpected

At least she's not asking for the keys to the car just yet, but she is wearing her big girl Dora under wear. Oh, but we can't just do one thing like switch under clothing. No, sireee. We go whole hog around here. We switched to the big girl bed, too. I'll let you know how that goes. Her pajamas (size 3T) looked ENORMOUS on the hanger at K0hl's. Surely it would be a while before they fit. Ummm. Ok, later that night. LOL. She's getting to be a big girl. She's even moved up to the gymnastics class without mom.

On another note, I had Chinese food for lunch, and you know what that means? No, I'm not referring to water retention from the sodium. Fortune cookies! Mine was one I'd never gotten before: An unexpected event will soon make your life more exciting. Call me a fool, but I was darned near giddy thinking about what that could possibly mean for my future. Well, the possibilities are virtually endless, aren't they? Should I buy a lottery ticket? Cause we totally have those in Arkansas now. No. If I bought a ticket, there'd be a certain EXPECTATION of winning, wouldn't there? Will Gene suddenly decide Lydia needs a little sister or brother?

And then, well,THEN reality reared its head. It's a fortune cookie. And the fortune cookie probably isn't God's chosen method of communication. What was I thinking? That some prophet at the cookie factory printed it out just for me? Still, I often wish God would spell things out to me. Of course, He has through the Bible, but you know things like which job to take, how should I spend my weekend, what should I say or do for someone who is hurting, which cause do I support with my extra money or time?

Of course there are times when I think God does tell us specific things through our "circumstances". I believe He shows us His love in so many ways from a beautiful day to phone calls from out of the blue from a childhood friend, unexpected encounters and events. Maybe even fortune cookies...

2 comments:

day by day said...

hooray for your big girl!!!! It won't be long before she is asking for those keys. lol!

~Michelle

a Tonggu Momma said...

"And the fortune cookie probably isn't God's chosen method of communication." BwwwaaaaHaHaHaHa! (And congrats to your big girl!)