Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Awesome News!!!!

If you're not interested in good news, hearing God's praises, or children who weren't born in China, please hit delete now.

I worked in a daycare for children with special needs - some physical, some behavioral/emotional. I was one of the physical therapists there, and I could handle just about anything (snot, diarrhea, vomiting, blood) except lice. We admitted two little girls who were constantly missing therapy because they had lice. I always wanted to keep the older one, who was on my caseload, at arm's length so I didn't get her "cooties". I did, eventually, come to like this little girl from a disadvantaged family, but I still tried to keep from getting physically close enough to share her bugs if she had them.

I had a doctor's appointment last year, and I was really worried that the visit would reveal something terrible - something that would mess up my impending referral. Well, you can imagine my anxiety (as if just waiting for your referral wasn't enough). I was a little distracted but valiantly trying to carry on with my work that day. As I was walking that little girl to the therapy gym and holding her hand, she took my hand and placed it against her cheek as she said, "Miss Suzy, I love you."

Now, what I ask you, had I done to deserve that love? Nothing that I can think of. As I said, I tried to keep my distance. But just like our Father's love, I didn't have to earn it: it simply was. This little angel was removed from her family's care because it was discovered that she was being abused. Her family wasn't really following up on their counseling they were supposed to be doing, either. I prayed for her as she was placed with her grandmother.

A few months later, I received my referral, went to China to bring home my daughter, and left that job. I still thought about my little friend, but I didn't get to follow her like I did when I worked at that job. Sunday morning, I felt God telling me to get in touch with her. I thought I was supposed to become like a "Big Sister" to her, buy her clothes for school in August, and take her to church if her grandmother would let me. I called to get some contact information to set my plan in action. It's just that that wasn't God's plan at all.

My little angel is being adopted!!! Not by me, but she's going to have an awesome family. She already goes to church and has a family who will finalize that adoption soon. All I can say is that I experienced such joy and relief, I've laughed as I've cried tears of joy for her. I'm so happy that I can barely contain it all. If I hadn't listened to God telling me to see about her, I would have missed out on all of that. He's such an awesome God, and I am so grateful for the blessing of adoption in my life and the lives of others.

I hope you'll join me in thanking Him for His amazing love & blessings (even when we don't think we want or need them),
Suzy

1 comment:

Christy said...

SUZY,

THAT JUST WARMED MY HEART. I LOVE HEARING STORIES THAT END HAPPY LIKE THAT. I TOO WORK WITH KIDS THAT HAVE GONE THROUGH WAY TOO MUCH FOR THEIR YOUNG AGE AND YOU DO NOT HEAR THE HAPPY ENDINGS LIKE THIS VERY OFTEN.

THANKS FOR SHARING!!

CHRISYT :)