Sunday, August 12, 2007

Catch up post




Friday we did paperwork - even when I'm not working, I have to do paperwork!!! There were only 2 of us who did our paperwork perfectly (a PT - me! and and OT).


Lydia hung out in the room with Dad and played and ate (and BOY, can she eat!)

Friday night/Saturday morning: I broke down and decided to eat a steak off the hotel menu since the buffet was much the same every night. At about 11:45, I began to itch and not feel so good. I took 2 Benadryl and hoped for the best. An hour or so later, I took a 3rd Bendryl. About an hour and a half after that I took a Zyrtec. At about 4:45, I got Gene up to get the epipen. I wasn't sure if I should take it. I mean, I wasn't having trouble breathing but head to toe I was bright red and had huge bumps all over except for a stark white square on my abdomen. In a last ditch effort to avoid waking our guide, delaying everyone's travel, and a trip to the hospital, I used the epipen when I started feeling dizzy. I jerked it out and wondered if I'd gotten anything in of it IN me before I was startled into pulling it out. I immediately started heaving and threw up, and then the itching finally stopped. You could see parts of the rash all the rest of the day, but I was ok.

Saturday: Travel day. I began to understand how the passengers on the Minnow felt when they set out for their 3 hour tour. We were heading to the airport for a 1 hour flight. We got there in plenty of time, and then we waited for hours because our plane had mechanical problems. There were other flights available, but they only had a few seats. Our guide didn't want to break up our group - XiXi is a SMART woman! Lydia was a total wiggle worm at the airport, but after eating an incredible number of HoneyNut O's, she fell asleep in her Daddy's lap. Then she did the cutest thing EVER: sound asleep, she clapped her hands the way she does when we say, "Good girl!" She slept the whole flight: take off, drinks, and landing.



We finally made it to Guangzhou, and it is FANTASTIC. It's humid, but it was a little cooler because a typhoon had blown through somewhere else cooling things off. Our hotel is very nice - the famous 5 star hotel for American adopters in China, the White Swan. Shopping here is sensational. Baby clothes and shoes like you can not imagine await you in just about every little shop.

Sunday: Disney Land claims to be the happiest place on earth, but I disagree. The White Swan has to be the happiest single place on earth. Go to the breakfast buffet and see all the new families - little girls and boys who've gone from being orphans to cherished family members and if your heart doesn't leap with joy, then I think you may need a heart transplant. There are older children being adopted who may have a minor special need (like, hey! you're not a tiny baby anymore) to more noticeable special needs, but they are all joining their new families. It is a beautiful and miraculous sight.

Lydia and Gene went shopping around Shaiman Island while I went to 6 Banyan Temple and climbed the stairs all the way to the top of the 9 story Pagoda. I was soooooo hot!!! Many of the girls received a Budhist monk's blessing.



Then we were off to the Pearl Market where we were able to buy fresh and salt water pearls at whole sale prices. OMGoodness! I could have spent a year's salary there, and I wish I could have bought something for everyone. Next, we crossed the street (and I said an ugly word when I came closer to getting hit by a bus than I've ever come) to the Jade Market. I found a few things I couldn't live without.

When I came back, Gene said he'd shopped until Lydia dropped in her brand new stroller. When she woke up we fed her AGAIN and went to check out more of the shops around the White Swan. Holy Cow, again, I could spend a year's salary buying shoes and clothes, but fortunately, the prices are very cheap. We ate at Lucy's which has American style food, and I can't remember a better tasting cheeseburger.

Tomorrow is the medical exam and the guys are going to the Electronics market. I'm sure I'll have to hit the local shops again.

1 comment:

Charity said...

Lydia sure is blooming with you guys. It's so fun to watch her get happier each day. What a cutie!! I'm so happy for you all.