Monday, July 30, 2007

LOST

Take a long look at the black bag Gene is resting his left hand on. It may be the last time we ever saw that bag, photographic proof that it once existed. Somehow, either from Little Rock to Houston, it didn't arrive in LAX with us. Continental called to say they found it and would put it on the plane to Guangzhou, China with us. We may never know if they found it, if they did indeed put it on our plane, or some other plane, or if it vanished into thin air. What we do know is we never saw it, Continental says talk to China Southern, and China Southern says talk to Continental. All I know is all of Lydia's darling clothes are missing, all our meds (over the counter and Cipro), my SUNSCREEN for goodness sake, diapers, bottles, Ergo baby carrier, and diaper backpack are LOST. So much for being prepared...

On a happier note, Premium Economy is THE way to go to China. I can not imagine flying economy. I had a miserable time trying to get comfortable enough to sleep even though I was exhausted by the time we took off for China, but at least I had some room to attempt finding a comfortable position. If you are one of those brave souls who have done economy and think I'm a wimp, all I can say is I salute you. I may have delivered my son without an epidural, but I don't think I'm tough enough to fly economy 14 plus hours. I think it'd be worse than labor.

We were given slippers, a bag to store our smelly shoes and socks, warm wet wash cloths to freshen up, eye masks, ear plugs, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and all sorts of goodies to make our ride more pleasant. These seats are much wider and recline further than economy seats. They also have private video screens to watch movies or check out our GPS with data about how long we'll be before landing, the outside temps, etc.

We're in Beijing now. It's pretty hot and humid - just like I like it! And Katie, I was sooooo right about what my hair would look like. That photo at the airport is likely the last one you'll see of me without a ball cap. The food is incredible here. I'm including pictures. You're probably all wishing you were on this great big adventure, now aren't you?









Part of a market we visited in Beijing - ALL BY OURSELVES. Amazing how many people in China speak some English! Lily says they MUST pass an English exam to graduate from the university. I wish Americans valued speaking Chinese almost as much (allowing a little wiggle room because I'd still want to get my degree...)

4 comments:

AG'smoma said...

Suzy and Gene!

We so happy to see you made it there safely!! Even if it is without the much needed suitcase. I sure hope they really did locate it and will get it to you in Guangzhou. Can't wait to follow along while you're there!

Cris and Brian

Katie said...

I can't believe they lost THE most important bag!! Do you need me to go hunt it down for you?!? So glad you guys made it safely...those plane seats looked comfy!! Your home health patient and daughter talked about you our whole visit...I really think they are going to meet you at the airport! Keep a posting!

Charlotte said...

Suzy !
What a perfect way to start of losing the suitcase ! Luckily all the the things you lost for Lydia they got in China, and since you won't see her in a week maybe the suitcase will reappear in time, if not it's a shopping you will go ! We all can't wait to see her ! The documents was the most important and you got it !

Charlotte
www.rachaeljanew.blogspot.com

Glen said...

I am so glad you E-mailed me to let me know you were on your way. It looks like the first part has been an advenchure.
Glen