Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

One of my very best friends, Lisa, and I believe we are two of the luckiest people on this planet. We've been blessed with really wonderful, loving fathers here on Earth. We knew from the time were we tiny babies what a father's love was, and we have so much confidence because of that love. We also believe our faith in God was shaped by that love.

In honor of my dad, I thought I'd tell you a little bit about him. My father became a dad for the first time when he was 47 years old. His youngest child was born when he was 50. Dad was convinced we'd all be boys, that he was going to have a baseball team of sons. He was still believing this after I, his first daughter, was born. Please don't think he was disappointed. I think I was one of the best unexpected things in his life. My younger sister was one of the others. I doubt that anyone has ever enjoyed being a dad more than mine did.

My dad was a positive thinker, a persuasive person, a comic who needed an audience but not a stage, and one of the most generous souls I've ever known. He knew 3 languages, according to him, "Sane, insane, and profane." He was perhaps most fluent in the last of those three after a tour in the 36th Division driving a bulldozer for the Army in WWII.

I hope that everyone knows the kind of love from a father that Lisa and I know from ours. I hope if your father is still alive that you'll let him know how much you love him, too. Happy Father's Day!

No comments: